Dental Hygienist at University Dental Care Swansea
What is a Dental Hygienist?
Dental hygienists are specially trained to work as part of the dental team looking after your oral health. They are mainly concerned with preventative dental health and treating gum disease. This includes professionally cleaning your teeth removing plaque and calculus.
Their most important role is advising you on how you can keep your teeth free of plaque.
Why should you see the Hygienist?
A hygienist is specially trained to carry out scaling and polishing and can spend longer with you than the dentist usually can.
Services offered at University Dental Care:
We offer 30 minute appointments which include scale and polish and oral health information. Appointments cost £50, including the payment of a £25 deposit which is required to secure the appointment.
We can offer prolonged treatment which may be over several visits. We can also offer local anaesthetic if necessary – please mention it to your dentist.
- Brush your teeth twice a day: once at night and one other time during the day (usually morning) with the fluoride toothpaste (1350-1450ppm).
- “Spit don’t rinse” the toothpaste away.
- Cut down on sugary foods and drinks.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
- Clean in between your teeth every day. The hygienist can recommend whether interdental brushes, tape or floss would be best for you.
The deposit may be lost if the appointment is missed or cancelled without us being informed by 12pm the day before the appointment, excluding special circumstances.